Monday, May 4, 2009

the past two days

Today, Dodge City, KS to Great Bend, KS 86 miles
Today was another very short day. We almost forgot what tailwinds felt like until today. We left around 8:00 this morning to some rough looking skies and isolated t-storms in the forecast. However, we stayed dry all day and had some great winds on our back. We made the last 50 miles after lunch fairly quickly because of the tailwinds. I noticed about halfway through the day that my front bracket is all lopsided and bent. I must rewind to something I failed to mention the other night. In the town of Hooker (seriously), Oklahoma, my cleats were so muddy that I was having trouble getting in and out of them two days ago. When I was trying to get out of them at a stop, it never happened. I went down hard (most likely to the amusement of anyone who was watching) after keeping my balance while completely still for about five seconds. I think that might be why I bent some stuff on my bike. Anyway, I think I can make it to Topeka in a few days to get it looked at. Some things we have noticed is that there are towns with a gas station every ten miles or so (as opposed to 50 miles in New Mexico) which is nice. Also, there is an abundance of the aroma known as cow dung in the air, and it...is...AWESOME! I never thought I would welcome that smell, but I am so glad to see things that look and smell familiar that I don't even care. So yeah...pretty uneventful day.
Yesterday, Liberal, KS to Dodge City, KS 83 miles
Today was a short day that was very welcome. We were battling a 3-5 mph headwinds all day, but other than that, everything was ok. As mom posted last night, it was a very uneventful day. At one point, we stopped in the town of Meade to eat at a Pizza Hut for lunch. It was pretty funny, because when we got there, there were these two "real" bikers. Dad, of course, went over and fired up a conversation immediately with them, and the result was pretty funny. They were from Detroit, and one of them said, "Man, these people in Kansas are weird! It's like they're looking at you, (then using his best Gilbert Godfry squint)but they're not really looking at you." He thought they were standoffish with them, and I'm sure Dad was the only person in the whole state that talked to them (I'm assuming the sticker on his helmet that claimed he was a lesbian trapped in a man's body didn't help the situation much). I can just imagine the locals in this town of about 500 people when the saw these rough guys..."Millie, go corral up the cattle, and hide the chickens! I'm gonna go see if I can figure out how to lock the car doors!" Right before they left, they came over and gave us handshakes and we told each other to be safe on the road. Pretty nice guys, if you ask me. Well, when we got to Dodge, dad worked a great deal at the best hotel in town, and it was a great room. The guy at the front desk thought it was crazy that we walked 1/2 mile to the Applebee's for dinner. What I found crazy is that we did it in these weak $1 flip-flops that dad got at the dollar store the night before we left that he insists are made for males...I disagree. They are XL's, yet our heels are practically off the back whenever we walk. Ok, we are going to get something to eat. Goodnight.

Blake

1 comment:

  1. HA!! Dad was so proud of the flip flop buy that he had to show me more than once. "And, JORD - feel the WEIGHT on these puppies! Light as can be!" I am sitting here picturing you walking in them as I wipe the tears of laughter from my face...

    ReplyDelete